Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sharing & Helping Without Expecting Something Back

View Image

The other day I saw a little girl walk up to her friends with a cookie. Her friend asked her for some, and she un-hesitantly broke the cookie in half, and gave half to the other little girl.
Another day, I watched as my little brother helped our youngest brother walk up the stairs, with 'Baby' holding on tightly to his hand, as he pulled him up the big stone-steps.
And, I read about a lady lending her credit card to a homeless man who asked for some change.
Is this kindness natural? Or do you have to learn it? Or is it possible that you are born with it, and then slowly over time, you either keep it, or lose it, and become more and more selfish.
In The Road the son is always asking his father if they can help people - the dog that they hear, the boy that they see, the old man that they find. His father, always and coldly, says no. Straight up - no. Maybe it is because he has the pressure of taking care of his son, that all of his love and compassion for others is ruled out, because of the strong caring he has for his son. It makes sense, that if he gave the food to others, then he wouldn't have as much for his boy and his self.
But who taught the boy to want to give, and have kindness to others? His father evidently did not, and his mother probably didn't either. So it is just a natural gift that you are born with?
I think I have to second guess myself a little, I have had to tell my little siblings countless times to share, and be nice to each other. But on occasion, they surprise me by their own willingness to share. Maybe it is a feature that jumps in and out of some people, while others are just blessed with the natural instinct to share and help others without asking for anything in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment